Saturday, November 10, 2012

Overcoming Perfectionism

Just keep going. Photo Credit: SweetOnVeg


Last week I felt like giving up on my quest to get fit. Why give up when I just started? In one word, GUILT!

I ate Halloween candy that I didn't need, and in all honesty didn't really want. The candy was readily available at work so I gave myself an excuse to eat it.  I also drank more soda than I felt like I should. Add in multiple days without exercising, and I began to think "Why am I trying? Why bother? I can't do this". I was defeated.

You see, I tend to be a perfectionist. I want things to be right all the time. I expect that from myself. I've come to realize that I try to avoid mistakes, even if I have to give up and do nothing. By quitting at least I didn't fail, but then isn't not trying the worst failure of all.

Trying to be perfect is not realistic. I'm not perfect. I'm a work in progressI will make mistakes, and I need to learn from my mistakes instead of trying to avoid them.  Instead of demanding perfection from myself, I need to extend grace to myself.  Getting healthy is not an all or nothing process.

So, time for the moment of truth:

Last week:
  • Cardio - 60 minutes (3.56 miles walking) 
  • Strength - 21.5 minutes 
  • Stretching - 9.5 minutes
(I felt under the weather a few days so I didn't exercise as much as I had plan.)

This week:
  • Cardio - 66.5 minutes (3.41 miles walking)
  • Strength - 44 minutes
  • Stretching - 15 minutes
(Cardio looks about the same, but I added speed and incline intervals this week. So even though the numbers don't reflect it, the intensity was greater this week.)
Are you a recovering perfectionist like me? How do you stay motivated when you are struggling to get things right?

Linking with Stick With It Saturday.

2 comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails