Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Words Can Hurt

anguished soul.
 Photo Credit: kelsey_lovefusionphoto

 
Words were spoken, and they cut through me like a knife making a deep wound. The words made me feel small and worthless. I wanted to run from their sting, but no matter what I do they still echo through my head and the pain remains with me.
 
But through my pain, I got a good look at myself. The Holy Spirit has reminded of the times that I have been the one who carelessly spewed words never giving a second thought to their impact.
 
It saddens me to know that even one word that I have said has hurt someone and that they may still be carrying that pain with them. I may never know the damage my tongue has inflicted because the wounds from the tongue are hidden from the eye.

Once the damage is done it cannot be undone. The words forever echo in the victim's heart. It's hard to forget hurtful words; I know this all to well.
Words can hurt so use them with care.
 
Lord, I know I've been guilty of saying critical words and not giving thought to how my words affect those around me.  I don't want to be like this anymore. Remove these sins from me and forgive me. Help me to use my tongue to help others. I've seen what a careless tongue can do, and I've felt the damaging effects of it. Help me to be more mindful of my speech, to think before I talk and do everything I can to not to hurt another person with my tongue. I need your help with this and I'm asking that you put a guard over my mouth. Amen.
 

5 comments:

  1. Love how the Lord has a way of reminding us of the "log" in our own eye when others hurt us with words. It's so important to think before we speak. The pain of our words can cut so deeply. Thank you for this reminder and thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is terrifying to know how words wound. I think of the times I've lost patience with my children. It seems my mother was much better controlling the tongue than I. But it is of comfort that I've matured with this -- with age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Many times I've been on the receiving end of unkind words. It's made me more aware of what comes out of my mouth. (Visiting from OYHT blog hop.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such truth, You expressed it beautifully and convictingly.....if that is a word. The hurt we feel when someone else uses words should make us so much more careful of our own words. Such Truth!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails