Friday, October 05, 2012

How To Adjust Your Attitude

india
Photo Credit:  Anthony Kelly
Psalm 73 begins with Asaph lamenting about how the wicked are getting away with their evil deeds and feeling like his pursuit of righteousness is in vain.  The wicked are prospering while Asaph, who has diligently tried to do the right thing, feels like he is being punished.
 
(Can you relate to Asaph? I know I can!)
 
But something happens to Asaph, and this psalm ends with him affirming his trust in God and vowing to remain faithful to the Lord.  Asaph sees God as His refuge and is ready to tell others about Him.
 
How is it possible to go from having a pity party to praising God?
 
When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me
till I entered the sanctuary of God;
then I understood their final destiny.
verses 16-17 (emphasis added)
 
The mental shift occurred within Asaph when he "entered the sanctuary of God". Some may think of the sanctuary only as an area of the church.  While this is true, we can find the sanctuary of God any time we draw near to God.

Because of what Jesus did on the cross, the veil was torn and praise the Lord, I can come to the throne of God anytime, anywhere.  This means I can enter the sanctuary of God in my car while singing a praise song, in the bathroom at work praying, and on my bed in the middle of the night meditating on Scripture.

And when I do -- when my focus shifts from me, my perspective and my feelings to the Sovereign Lord -- I am reminded that God's way are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts.  I can forget about the injustices that have been bothering me and remember that God is just and His judgment comes in His way and according to His perfect timing.  In the sanctuary of God, my heart can echo Asaph's words: "it is good to be near God" (verse 28a).

Being in the Lord's presence changes us. It gives us the attitude adjustment we need when our hearts are burdened and emotions are overwhelming us. But we have to decide to stop and give God our full attention so that He can renew our hearts and minds.
 









5 comments:

  1. From pity to praise--it's like you said, time spent with God getting an attitude adjustment. When our daughters were young we'd ask them to go to their room to find a happy face. One day my Emily came out and said tearily, I looked under my bed and in all my drawers--I even looked behind the toilet and I can't find a happy face. Sometimes I come to God that way. I helped Emily find one in a shoe and God helps me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO true! You know those days when you kind of roll out of bed and already have a sour attitude? When I experience that, it is a clear sign to me that I have been avoiding spending time with Him and in meditation on His words. Thanks for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God that He hears us 24/7, and that His sanctuary is always there for us.

    Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on Saved by Grace!
    Your blog is a blessing and I am now following it, and I invite you to follow Saved by Grace also:
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/
    Love in Him,
    Laurie Collett

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great thoughts...and I think we can all relate to this...the evil do seem to go unpunished, in our opinion. But God has the last word and his timing is not our own. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails