Tuesday, October 09, 2012

End of Another Season

End of the line for dahlias
Photo Credit: Chris Waits

Jesus, help me at this time.
Give me the words to say. Help me speak in love and truth.

That's was my prayer before calling a respected friend, who I had been helping  prepare a book for publication. The project had evolved and extended beyond my initial expectations, and after several years I found myself convicted that my time of helping my friend needed to come to a close so I could turn my attention to other things.
 
It should have been an easy decision because God had said "Stop this and start that".  But I'm a people pleaser, and I was torn between not wanting to let my friend down and wanting to obey God. I knew that I couldn't do both.
 
There was nothing inherently wrong with helping my friend -- that's what friends do.  But the good work I was doing for my friend was keeping me from doing God's will. 
 
I come to accept that the season for helping my friend was over, even though the project had not been completed. That was hard for me to accept because I don't like to leave tasks unfinished or leave friends in a lurch. But I had to trust God that He would help my friend finish the book.
 
I also realized that I couldn't do everything -- help my friend and take care of the new responsibilities that had come into my life. By trying to do it all, I had lost my peace, and I wasn't able to give my best because I was stretched to my limits.
 
It was hard to tell my friend I could no longer help with the book, but God never said obedience would always be easy. Thankfully, God answered my prayer, and the peace that I was filled with after my conversation with my friend, knowing that I had done the right thing and that our friendship had been preserved, was priceless.

Linking with Into the Beautiful, What I Learned This Week and On Your Heart Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I'm a recovering people pleaser too. Glad you stepped out and trusted God to smooth out the details. Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Rebecca -- even good things can keep us from God's best. When we hear His voice, we must obey to be in the center of His perfect will, which is the greatest possible blessing. Thanks for the great post!
    Love in Him,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved Elizabeth Elliot's quote, "God is God. Because He is God, He is worthy of my trust and obedience. I will find rest nowhere but in His holy will." Sounds like what you were feeling--rest from obedience.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails