Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What's On My Nightstand - October 2011


This month I've read:


Hurricanes in Paradise by Denise Hildreth Jones. This is the story of four women from different walks of life who meet in the Bahamas. While in paradise, each must deal with issues from their past in order to move forward with their future. While some serious issues are dealt with, the author manages to inject humor in appropriate places to give this book a good balance. As the title indicates, a hurricane strikes the island, which was predictable, but it's not the main theme of the story.  There was also some corporate sabotage which I didn't expect and which added a different twist to the story. This is the first book that I've read by this author, and I'm interested to read more by her.


2:46:  Aftershocks:  Stories from the Japan Earthquake by William Gibson, et al. This is an e-book which was complied days after the earthquake in Japan. Stories range from those who experienced the quake and its aftermath to others around the world as they attempted to reach their loved ones in Japan. The book provided great insight about what it was like in Japan before, during and after the earthquake and about how the citizens of Japan handled this epic event. I was struck by the Japanese fear of nature, but there was no reference to God. My only criticism of the book was that the article written by Yoko Ono was written in Japanese. Hers was the only article not to be translated for the book, and I didn't understand why.

Even Now (Lost Love Series #1) by Karen Kingsbury. This book tells the story of a young couple who are kept apart by their parents after an unplanned pregnancy. Years later the couple would be reunited by their child who has been raised by her maternal grandparents. While the couple's love has endured despite the years, they learn that their differing life experiences have shaped their opinions and political views differently and this threatens the sustainability of their relationship.

Ever After (Lost Love Series #2) by Karen Kingsbury. The couple from the preceding book is struggling to overcome their differences in order to make their relationship work while their daughter finds love and heartbreak. I found this book to be much more emotional than the first. Both were quick reads for me.

When I Lay My Isaac Down:  Unshakable Faith in Unthinkable Circumstances by Carol J. Kent. The author gives an honest account of the days following her only child's arrest and conviction for first degree murder while drawing from the story in Genesis of God calling Abraham to offer Isaac on the altar.  The book made me realize that we all have our own "Isaac" that we must surrender to God and for Carol it was her expectations for her son and his life. Carol also describes how her friends ministered to her and her family during the early days of their unthinkable circumstance which illustrates different and creative ways to minister to those who are in need of encouragement. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.

The 7-Day Doubt Diet: A Devotional Companion for A Confident Heart by Renee Swope. This devotional series in drawn from the author's book, A Confident Heart, which I want to read now. The devotional highlights different ways we doubt and how to combat them. My favorite tip was to keep track of my negative thoughts for a week and then using Scripture find truth to replace the doubting thoughts.

A Daughter's Inheritances (The Broadmoor Legacy #1) by Tracie Peterson. The story has young love, various plots to disinherit an heir and the beginning of an adventure as one character sets off to search for gold in the Yukon. In the book you will see some characters place a higher value on money while others values ministry more, all of which to the detriment of their relationships. To contrast this, the main character born to wealth and prestige desires only to have a loving family. I love Tracie Peterson's novels, and this one did not disappoint me. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.

Powerful Prayers for Troubled Times by Stormie Omartian. This book convicted me to pray more and reminded me of the importance and the power of our prayers.  While the book ends with twelve specific prayers regarding our country and its leaders, the book also addresses the importance of forgiveness, having hope and praying continually. This will be a book that I will read again.

Linking with 5 Minutes for Books.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I imagine that the stories about the earthquake would have been pretty powerful. I can't even imagine.
    -Dawn, 5M4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your short reviews. When I lay down my Isaac, in particular, sounds good. I've read Carol Kent's Secret Longings of the Heart, which was about unfulfilled expectations and was very challenging. Isaac also sounds challenging--but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read those two Kingsbury books a while back and enjoyed them. I like Tracie Petersen, too, and the Broadmoor series was one of my favorites. Just the title of When I Lay My Isaac Down sounds heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great list! I am definitely interested in reading 2:46. Thanks for pointing it out!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails