Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What's On My Nightstand - September 2011


This month I read:


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  This was my first time reading this classic, and now I'm eager to see the movie.  I loved the witty dialogue and the development of the characters which made me change my initial perception of several people in this book. The book started slow for me since I was struggling to keep up with the many characters, but by the end I was sorry to get to the end of the book.

Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food by Lysa TerKeurst.  The author honestly tells of her struggle with food and her weight and her journey to control these issues which had seemed uncontrollable for so long. Even though I have not experienced these same struggles, I found many nuggets of truth in this book so many that I must re-read it in order to glean them all. The heart of this book is about turning to God instead of food or anything else to fill our most pressing need and to replace God's truth with the lies Satan would have us to believe.

Escape from the World Trade Center by Leslie Haskin. This is an autobiographical account of an insurance executive who worked in Tower 1 of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. This book vividly describes all that Ms. Haskin saw and heard that fateful day, and from her account it's understandable why she suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. Additionally, this is a story of a woman who grew up in a Christian home who had been living away from God, but amid the tragedy and the horror she began to find her way back to the Lord.

Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise by Joyce Magnin. Charlotte Figg moves to a trailer park called Paradise after her husband dies. What she finds is a community of seemingly mixed matched people, but discovers that the common thread among them is the pain and suffering that they have each had to face in life. The author manages to interweave humor and Scriptural references while addressing the painful subject of spousal abuse.

Aesop's Fables came with my Kindle app download so I decided to read it. While I was familiar with some of the tales, I was surprised at how many stories actually make up this book.  I appreciate the values that these tales impart, but I believe there's a better way to do so without referring to mythological gods.

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo. I had heard about this book and got the opportunity to read it when a friend loaned it to me. Colton, the author's four year old son, gets a glimpse of heaven while he was seriously ill in the hospital. The story tells of how his parents and others come to know of his trip to heaven and describes heaven from a child's viewpoint.

For check out what other bloggers are reading, visit 5 Minutes for Books.











6 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting your books, and your thoughts.
    I have some of these on my Kindle.
    Now I know more about them and anxious to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked Pride & Prejudice. I think Persuasion is my favorite story, although P&P is probably better overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P&P is the only Austen book that I've read, and I enjoyed it, too. I've got the most well-known film versions of it on DVD, but haven't watched any yet. Can't quite convince my husband to watch them with me! :)
    -Dawn, 5M4B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a good list! I greatly enjoyed P&P (though I read it after watching a couple of different movie adaptations several times; by the way, I'd go with the five-hour BBC version if you have the time; the one with Keira Knightley is good too, and only two hours).

    I have Made to Crave and am anxious to read it. I read a bit of beginning and really liked where TerKeurst was going with it.

    Escape from World Trade Center is going on the TBR.

    Thanks for the suggestions. Happy reading this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am trying to read more classics have not yet got to Pride & Prejudice but it is on my Kindle so maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Pride and Prejudice! It's such a great story. I second the recommendation that you watch the very long BBC version if you can find the time. It's the closest adaptation and all the actors did a fantastic job. I wasn't too keen on the other versions of the movies.

    Happy October reading!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails