Monday, September 05, 2011

The Truth About The Little White Lie

Cross
Photo Credit: Glen Van Etten (Glen's Pics) ~ Creative Commons

Satan loves to get us to think of certain sins as small and not that big of a deal. However, God sees all sin the same from the little white lie to those acts that we label as heinous.  Each and every sin, no matter how small or large in our eyes, is punishable by death, and Jesus paid the penalty for every sin.

When we start labeling the size and severity of sin, we are buying into the devil's lie that some sins are just not that bad. Our actions will seem right to us, and we will excuse and justify our wrongdoing. We discount what our sin cost Jesus and forget the horrific cost that Jesus paid for us.

If the Enemy can get us to lie to ourselves about our "little" sin, he can and will do the same with other sins because he has found a foothold in our life. A foothold occurs when we relax our guard against spiritual attacks, and it can happen so imperceptibly because the devil is very sly and subtle in his attacks.

Thus, periodic exploratory searches for sin are critical to our spiritual health.  Existing footholds may not be apparant which is why we need to ask God to search our hearts and minds and reveal sinful acts and thoughts to us so that we may confess and repent of them.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24



4 comments:

  1. This is good....I think a key marker to there being unconfessed sin is whether or not I am loving others and more concerned about them than about myself - 1 John is such a great book, touching on the very things you are discussing. If we have sin, we aren't walking in the light! Thank you for sharing. Thank goodness we have the Holy Spirit to bring to mind our sins....I could never keep track of everything I do wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard for me sometimes to accept that my sins are perhaps not any less egregious than, say, a convicted criminal's sins. But you are so very right -- every sin, no matter how big or small, acts to separate us from God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Satan also wants us to think that "big sins" are too big . . . we can't be honest about our brokeness.

    Good post.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails