Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lessons From 9/11

NYC Twin Lights 9/11
Photo Credit: Jackie (Sister72) ~ Creative Commons

I couldn't bring myself to write about my experiences 10 years ago today. Even though I was thousands of miles away from the crash sites and a decade has passed, it seems like it was just yesterday and the pain feels anew today.

Instead, I've tried to focus on lessons that can be gleaned from September 11, 2001:
  • You can plan your day down to the minute detail, but ultimately God will determine what will happen.
  • Don't take anything or anyone for granted. In a split second your life can irreversible change.
  • Evil forces are all around us in this world, and the face of pure, unadulterated evil is an ugly one. However, God is in control of everything in this world, even though those determined to do evil.
  • Everyone will have defining moments in their life -- moments when they are challenged to persevere in the face of hardship. What will define us is not the trial we face, but our response to it.
  • Trust placed in anything or anyone other than God is misplaced, and if we are to boast, then it should only be to boast that we know the Lord.
  • Events in life will knock you down, and the best response is to get on your knees and pray.
  • Time doesn't heal all wounds...not the ones that cut you to your core. Time may ease the pain, but there will be occasions that will rip the scab off the wound, and the painful memories will be revisited.
  • Regardless of what happens in this world, you can trust in these truths: God is good, God is just, God is righteous, God is faithful and God is sovereign.
Linking with Spiritual Sundays, Soli de Gloria, On Your Heart Tuesday and 5 Minutes for Mom.

10 comments:

  1. I was here in Cleveland and just getting up when the first plane hit the World trade center.I was glued to the set and I still cannot forget the sight of the towers collasping,nor do I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these lessons learned from 9/11. I hope we've all learned many lessons.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you chose to share these lessons; for there were many. We truly do never know what will happen next and have to just keep trusting God in the good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was part of this chaos and so was my family. It was not easy to accept, yet your lessons resonate.

    Thank you for sharing.

    m.b.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this. What a good reflection. God bless America.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wise words. Thank you for sharing these.

    Visiting from Finding Heaven.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thoughts/lessons from that awful day.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one, I have lived (well, I've lived a lot of these lessons but this one struck me today): Time may ease the pain, but there will be occasions that will rip the scab off the wound, and the painful memories will be revisited.

    I think about my grandmother and although I don't cry for her every day now, there are moments when the grief slices through and it is as if she died yesterday and not a year ago. Thank you for highlighting this important part of the grief process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comments. I was teaching third grade at a Christian school and I wrote about it here: http://drawingthelinesomewhere.com/remembering-911/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, great lessons. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails