Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What's on My Nightstand - August 2011


This month I have read:
  • Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers is the sequel to Her Mother's Hope.  This novels covers the lives of three generations, and as with the first book there continues to be misunderstandings and secrets which creates rifts between mothers and daughters.  Each mother did what she thought was best for her child, and each generation tries to do better than the last, but ends up making some of the same mistakes.
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett is set in Jackson, Mississippi, in the early 1960s and what happens when twelve black maids with the assistance of a recent white college graduate write a book about what it's like to work in white households. My favorite character was the maid, Aibileen, for her wisdom and courage. This novel made me see the racial division in my home state during this era in a way that I have never considered it before. I found this book both entertaining and thought provoking.  My only criticism would be the author's misuse of the Lord's name and a couple of scenes which were (to me) a bit crudely described.
  • The Scribe which is the last novella in The Sons of Encouragement series by Francine Rivers. The Scribe is a fictionalized account of the live of Silas from his legalistic upbringing to his surrendering all and becoming an apostle of Christ. It was interesting to see how Silas' life intersected with other well-known apostles, such as Paul, Peter, Luke and Timothy. 

7 comments:

  1. I really like Francine Rivers! I have 2 of her books on my shelf waiting to be read. I never really get to read what is on the best seller list. I am way behind. that and I never purchase books new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great books! I really enjoyed the Sons of Encouragement series (and the one about the women that I can't remember the series' title).

    Thanks for sharing your list!

    Lauren from 5M4B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Abileen in The Help too. I was born in Mississippi and have lived in Alabama all my life; it made me feel really bad reading all the horrible stuff that went on. I’m very glad progress has been made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all sound interesting--I'm still on the waiting list for the audio of "The Help." I heard the movie is fabulous, but want to read (well, listen) to it first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I see someone who has just now read The Help, I think "See, Rebekah, you're not too far behind. You can catch up. Not EVERYBODY has already read this book." And then I realize that every time I see someone who has just now read The Help, that means there's one more person closer to EVERYBODY having read it before me. Someday I'm going to get around to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really agree with your thoughts on The Help. I also thought the ending was very abrupt and left me hanging, which I found very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Rivers' books as well. :) She's a good author.

    The Help was good in that it definitely makes the reader think! It's so sad that people can be treated as inferior simply due to the color of their skin.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails