Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Trusting the Potter

another type of bowl
Photo Credit:  Peter Shanks (BotheredByBees ~ Creative Commons)


"Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker, to him who is but a potsherd among the potsherds on the ground. Does the clay say to the potter, 'What are you making?' Does your work say, 'He has no hands'?" (Isaiah 45:9)

This verse made me think of how many times I've asked God:

What are you doing?
Don't you see this mess?
You need to fix this.
But I never thought that I was quarreling with the Lord Almighty. But truthfully I was second guessing Him, His wisdom and His sovereignty over the situation. I was so focused on my own discomfort because of my circumstances that God had allowed to touch my life that I forgot how much He loves me and how valuable I am to Him.

The clay doesn't tell the potter how to form it.  The clay has no idea of its potential, and even if it did, the clay has no idea of how to achieve its potential without the gentle guidance of the potter. Sometimes the potter has to squish the clay and start all over in order to achieve the desired results. The clay has to trust the Maker and remember that the safest place to be is in the hands of God.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this awesome reminder. :)

    God bless and keep you,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The clay has to trust the Maker and remember that the safest place to be is in the hands of God." Indeed, indeed! Beautiful post! :)

    Blessings,
    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often forget this: the clay has no idea of how to achieve its potential without the gentle guidance of the potter

    Which is why, I think, God shows me only what the next ONE step is, instead of 100 yards down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how many times have I second-guessed God and His wisdom?! Thank you for the reminder to trust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - Awesome post!! I will be definitely reflecting on this all day today. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I'm your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes - the safest place to be is in the hands of God; even when they're squishing the clay. Blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails