Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What's On My Nightstand - July 2011

This month I read:

From The Sons of Encouragement by Francine Rivers: The Prince which is about Jonathan, the son of King Saul and friend to David.  The Prophet which is the story of Amos.  I found this novella interesting because I knew so little about Amos.  Amos was a shepherd before being called by  God to be a prophet, and I enjoyed learning more about a shepherd's role.  The more I learn about sheep, the more I identify with them.

The Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson is a story of tweve women of diverse cultures who come together to pray.  This is a book I've been wanting to read for a while and I'm glad I finally did.  This story made me think about many things, including the need to get out of our comfort zone, particularly when we worship God and what sacrifice is all about.  This book reminded me of the importance of believers coming together regardless of our differences in order to serve one another and to praise God.

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down by Neta Jackson picks up where The Yada Yada Prayer Group ends.  There did seem to be a lot more drama in this book, but that may be a product of having twelve women within the prayer group, and as they get to know each other, they become more transparent about what's happening in their lives. Stereotypes and racial prejudice were addressed as well as offering forgiveness. I enjoyed the description of the Messianic Jewish worship service. The one thing that I have taken away from this book that I've applied to my prayer life is to thank God for what He is going to do after presenting my requests to Him.




4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good reading month. :)

    The Yada Yada Prayer Group sounds really good. I'll have to give that one a try.

    I hope August is a great reading month as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen both of these books. They look really good.

    Here is mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good month. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read The Yada Yada Prayer Group several years back--but all I can remember from it was one of the white prayer group participants being stunned by everybody else's manicures and pedicures. Made me want to have fancy nail polish too (even though it's not practical for a dietitian--who should always be ready for kitchen work!) Funny things that stick in our minds...

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails