Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Proving A Point

Point!
Photo credit:  a2gemma (flikr)


In Job 20 in the midst of Job's suffering, his friend, Zophar, was convinced that Job had brought on his current troubles on himself by sinning against God. Zophar was intent on getting Job to see what he perceived to be the error of his ways and prove Job to be a hypocrite.


When you are working hard to prove a point, you need to consider:
  1. You could be right, but continuing to push your viewpoint will only alienate your friend. Loving a friend -- flaws and all -- is more important than getting him to acknowledge that he is wrong and you are right.
  2. You could be wrong and continuing to push your viewpoint only draws attention to your stubborn arrogance and your refusal to see things from another viewpoint.
Dear Heavenly Father,

Please forgive me for assuming that I'm right about everything. I know that only You have all the answers and know each situation perfectly. Forgive me for judging others.

Help me to be a better friend, especially to those who are suffering.  Give me the wisdom to know when to speak and when to hold my tongue, and when I speak, dear Lord, give me the words to say so they may benefit those who listen.

In Christ's name, I pray.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails