Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Hiding Place


I recently read The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom with John and Elizabeth Sherrill, and these quotes made an impression on me:
There are no "if's" in God's world. And no places that are safer than other places. The center of His will is our only safety. (page 67)
If I had ever needed proof that I had no boldness or cleverness of my own, I had it now. Whatever bravery, or skill I had ever shown were gifts of God -- sheer loans from Him of the talent needed to do a job. And it was clear, from the absence of such skills now, that this was no longer His work for me. (page 211)
And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with command, the love itself. (page 215)

3 comments:

  1. beautiful. love Corrie Ten Boom. I got to hear her speak in person in 1975. what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And no places that are safer than other places. The center of His will is our only safety."

    This is exactly what I need to hear this morning. I am fearful of being in El Salvador for various reasons, but I won't be any less safe there than here if I stay in His will. Thanks, Rebecca! I love Corrie ten Boom--such wisdom. I wish I could have heard her speak in person before she died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a long time since I read that book -- I should probably read it again.

    That second quote reminds me of something I read in Amy Carmichael's biography:

    Two glad services are ours,
    Both the Master loves to bless. First we serve with all our powers –
    Then with all our feebleness. Nothing else the soul uplifts Save to serve Him night and day, Serve Him when He gives His gifts –
    Serve Him when He takes away.
    C. A. Fox

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails