Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What's on My Nightstand - May, 2011

This month I read:
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation by Tricia Goyer.  I first became aware of Tricia Goyer and her writings by following her on Twitter.  This is the first novel by Tricia Goyer that I have read, and I was not disappointed.  The story takes places near the end of World War II and follows the lives of an American solider, a concentration camp survivor and a wife of a Nazi solider.  I enjoyed the book because of the historical perspective, even though the descriptions of the concentration camps and its survivors were extremely difficult to read.  It is a story of forgiveness and restoration.
  • Every Day Deserves A Chance by Max Lucado.  Like previous books I have read by Max Lucado, this book was easy to read and understand.  There were some suggestions that I immediately put into practice, such as gratitude and dealing with anxiety.  Though some of the illustrations seemed oversimplified which bothered me some, this book reminded me that in order to give each day a chance I must include God in each day and acknowledge His will for my life.
  • Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers.  This story covers three generations of mothers and daughters and their often strained relationships.  Like most of  Francine Rivers' books, I found this story to be very deep and made me think about many things, such as submitting to parents and to our Heavenly Father, dealing with past hurts so they don't sabotate future relationships, and forgiveness, to name just a few.  This book shows that every child wants to be loved and accepted by their parents, every parent wants the best for their child and  misunderstandings can develop so easily between a parent and a child.
What good books have you read lately?

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read Her Mother's Hope, and I do like a good generational story. Good review.

    Thanks for linking up!

    Jennifer
    5minutesforbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reviews! I really liked Her Mother's Hope, although I wasn't as fond of Her Daughter's Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've been reading some good books. I hope June is just as good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That From Dust to Ashes sounds really good. Unfortunately it's not at my library--but I might just put it on my list anyway, just in case :-)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails