Monday, January 24, 2011

The Week in Words


Richard Blackaby from Putting A Face On Grace:
"His grace motivates Him to shower people with undeserved blessings.  Grace recognizes people's sin, anger, rebellion, and foolishness but looks beyond all of these to see what these people can become." 

From the Quote of Day e-mail from Grace Tabernacle of Ray Pritchard from the August 8, 1992, sermon entitled The Sin No One Will Admit:
"Coveting is nothing more or less than an attempt to improve upon God.  The covetous man moans and groans because he believes that he has been treated unfairly.  When all the goodies were passed out, he got nothing but crumbs...The coveteous man doubts God's wisdom, God's goodness, God's justice, God's timing and ultimately God's love.  Coveting is a terrible sin because it is a surreptitious attack on God Himself.  Those who covet are saying, 'God, you haven't taken care of me.'  They are blaming God for His failure to meet their needs." 
Footnote for Job 33:13 from Life Application Study Bible:
"Job's greatest test was not the pain, but that he did not know why he was suffering. Our greatest test may be that we must trust God's goodness even though we don't understand why our lives are going a certain way. We must learn to trust in God who is good not in the goodness of life."
From Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on Job 35:
"We have no reason to complain if we have not what we expect, but should be thankful that we have better than we deserve."
On a notepad where I had written this quote (I'm not sure of the original source):
"You must be careful how you walk and where you go for there are those following you who will set their feet where yours are set." ~ Robert E. Lee
From Your Life Uncommon's blog post entitled "Don't Judge Too Quickly":
"We have to be really careful when we judge others because we are only capable of judging based on our own life experiences. They have experienced something entirely different and so they react differently. We can't judge their choices because we don't fully understand why they have made them the way they have."
The Week in Words is hosted by Barbara at Stray Thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no. These words have hurt the most this morning:

    “The coveteous man doubts God's wisdom, God's goodness, God's justice, God's timing and ultimately God's love. Coveting is a terrible sin because it is a surreptitious attack on God Himself. Those who covet are saying, 'God, you haven't taken care of me.' They are blaming God for His failure to meet their needs."

    I struggle with this. One year I made a resolution to “Thank God for the way he is taking care of me” to help me overcome my self-centered belief that he wasn’t taking care of me as well as I thought he should. I don’t know that I named my sin covetousness; but according to Pritchard's definition here, that's it.

    Thanks for prompting the insight, albeit a painful one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all good. I especially like the one about Job, trusting in God and not in life circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! That coveting one definitely got me. Covetousness is one of my strongest besetting sins. I recognize that it is a sin on the basis of Scripture, but I often want to excuse it as not really that bad, as only hurting myself because it makes me discontent--but this quote (and Scripture) makes clear that covetousness really is an affront to God. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa and Rebekah,The quote on covetousness stepped on my toes too so much so I almost didn't include it. It's reassuring that I'm not the only one who struggles with this sin.

    Barbara,During my study of Job,I have been reminded to trust in God and His goodness and not my circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails