Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Worst Famine







"The days are coming," declares the Sovereign Lord, "when I will send famine through the land -- not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the Lord.  Men will stagger from sea to sea and wander from north to east, searching for the word of the Lord, but they will not find it." ~Amos 8:11-12

I am fortunate to live in one of the most prosperous countries in the world.  I have never gone to bed hungry nor have I ever lacked clean water.  I have always had my basic needs met along with most of wants. I enjoy religious freedom that some people in the world can only dream of.  I can pray wherever and whenever I want, and I can own as many Bibles as I wish.  Sounds great, huh?  But there's a problem.  I am guilty of taking these blessings for granted.  I also, at times, take God and my relationship with Him for granted.


Amos 8:11-12 reminds me that hearing from the Lord is a gift to be treasured.  It is not an entitlement, and God can choose to stop His word from entering a person's life at any time.  These verses renew my fear of the Lord because never do I want to be cut off from Him in any manner.  For without His voice, there is no salvation, no teaching, no guidance, no edification, and no spiritual growth.  As much as I need air to breathe, I need the word of God to survive. (Matthew 4:4)


I need to do whatever is necessary to protect my quiet time with God.  I need to slow down, be still and listen to Him.  To neglect this special time with my Lord is to deny myself an opportunity to hear from Him.  The truth is I am always listening to someone -- either to God and His truth or Satan and his lies.  I pray that my hunger to hear from God will increase, and that I will eagerly met with Him daily to feast upon His word.

Miriam is our hostess this week at http://mipasmonologue.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding us when we neglect our time with God we are depriving ourselves of His Word, stepping towards that famine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reminder that time in the Word is a gift from God not an entitlement. Too often we see a quiet time as an item on our check list and not a gift to be embraced. Lovely post. Thank you for joining today's conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so blessed in this country! But you are right: "I am guilty of taking these blessings for granted. I also, at times, take God and my relationship with Him for granted." I know what you mean. I have heard some Christians say we could actually use a little more persecution in this country, because it would make the Lord and His Word more dear to us. Scary! So I try to be as thankful as possible right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind comments. I enjoyed participating in this meme.

    The Scripture from Amos hit home with me, and I'm so thankful for the reminder.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails